What is the Birthstone of May?
The world has the four most precious gemstones; diamond, sapphire, ruby, and May-born have the fourth crystal as their birthstone – the gorgeous emerald! But that’s not all. These lucky people are bestowed with two other birthstones; Agate and Chrysoprase. So this was all about what is the birthstone for May. Stay with us as we explore more about these mesmerizing birthstones for May.
Emerald is the main May birthstone and one of the most sought-after gems in the world. This stunning forest-green crystal symbolizes strength and protection. Moreover, the emerald May birthstone is found in Zambia, Brazil, and Columbia.
In ancient Greek and Roman times, gemstones were assigned to the zodiac signs rather than the months. And since then, agate has been the original birthstone for May. It is a type of chalcedony and is available in various colors.
A Few Words About Us
Elasaro provides beautiful handmade earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and rings.
We use natural stones with sterling silver to ensure high quality and durability.
A growing community of customers that wear our jewelry around the world.
May-born who seek emotional makeover in their life should consider wearing this birthstone May. Chrysoprase is the stone of Venus that has the power to bring optimism, joy, and happiness to the life of the wearer. Spiritual experts consider this modern birthstone of May a powerful antidepressant in the gemstone world.
Why does May have more than one birthstone?
Ideally, an emerald is the main birthstone for May. However, the experts created multiple options for this month to allow more accessible and affordable birthstone options for everyone.
May Birthstone Color
- Emerald – What is this May birthstone color? The color of emeralds varies from dark green to bluish-green to yellowish-green. The fluctuating presence of vanadium, chromium, and iron gives this May emerald birthstone the green color.
- Agate – What color is May’s birthstone? Agate is found in white, brown, pink, gray, red, yellow, and black. The color is determined by the impurities produced by the different compositions of groundwater seeping into the cavity. Moreover, the banding pattern within the cavity indicates the water chemistry change.
- Chrysoprase – The color of Chrysoprase ranges from apple green to yellow-green hues. The traces of nickel determine the final color of this beautiful gemstone. Get in touch with an experienced gemologist to know what is May birthstone.
May Birthstone Meaning and History
- Emerald – The word emerald originates from the Greek term “smaragdus,” which means green. The first emerald was mined in Egypt in 330 BC. In ancient Egyptian civilization, emperors and pharaohs used this gem to signify their royalty. Moreover, in 330 BC, mummies were buried with a May birthstone emerald to represent their eternal youth.
- Agate – Agate got its name from a river in Sicily, Achates River. The Greek philosopher Theophrastus mined the first agate some 3000 years ago. This May birthstone was one of the most popular and revered gemstones in the Italian, Hebrew, Aryuvedic, and Old Roman calendars.
- Chrysoprase – Chrysoprase is made of two Greek terms- Chrys (which means yellow or gold) and prase (which means leek). This gem was the favorite of Romans, Egyptians, and Greeks and was used in jewelry, signets, and seals.
Characteristics of the May Birthstone
- Emerald – First of all, emerald stimulates and strengthens one’s cardiac health. Bathing with emerald-infused water also helps in relieving allergies, skin diseases, and eye ailments. It is a gemstone of immense vision and intuition. This birthstone of May is also associated with sight and helps reveal a person’s truth. The stone of successful love nurtures and stimulates the heart chakra. Moreover, the green color signifies rebirth, fertility, and love.
- Agate – Agate is a powerful gemstone that enhances intelligence and bestows its wearer with good articulation. It is a stone of harmony and balance. It also protects wearers from negative energies and boosts vitality. Spiritual leaders use agate to cure insomnia and eradicate bad dreaming. Considering consulting an expert to know more about this May birthstone meaning.
- Chrysoprase – Chrysoprase is a healer. It heals broken hearts and boosts self-esteem. Moreover, it also regains emotional balance and motivates one to embrace and accept change. This gemstone will make you more tolerant and courageous to take life challenges head-on. Apart from this, it also grounds and stimulates the root chakra.
May Birthstone Care and Cleaning
- Emerald – You can clean your emerald with warm water and mild soap. Avoid ultrasonic cleaning and harsh detergents for this gemstone. You should consider consulting an expert to know what birthstone is in May.
- Agate – The safest way is to soak the agate in a mix of lukewarm water and mild detergent. Apart from this, you also use a mix of vinegar and baking soda to clean this gemstone.
- Chrysoprase – The best method to clean Chrysoprase is lukewarm water, mild soap, and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Harsh chemicals, steam cleaners, and ultrasonic machines are a strict no for this gem.
Why Choose Emerald Jewelry?
Did you know that emeralds are 20 times rarer than diamonds? It makes for a great gifting option to express the importance of a person in your life. You can go for an elegant emerald ring, pendant, or necklace to showcase your love and affection.
Agate comes in beautiful hues of natural colors and band patterns. They make for an impressive jewelry option for modern women. Agate jewelry collections that include rings, earrings, and necklaces are grabbing a lot of limelight in 2022.
Why Choose Chrysoprase Jewelry?
Chrysoprase is a lovely and enchanting gemstone. It makes for an enchanting jewelry option for modern women. The best part is that chrysoprase rings, earrings, and necklaces look good with formal and semi-formal attires.